Add a PC to a wireless speed trap?

Topics about Scoreboards and Displays hardware products, questions, features, functionality.

Add a PC to a wireless speed trap?

Postby MasonDo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am

I am a programmer and have been asked if it is possible to add a PC to a 6630 wireless speed trap display. I heard there is software already available but can I add a PC to receive the speeds from the speed trap and still be able to switch the PC in and out of the system?
MasonDo

Re: Add a PC to a wireless speed trap?

Postby kaiserBoss » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 am

My buddy has a speed trap setup with a PC running the AXware speed software. He said when he first received the speed trap, he did not have the PC connected. He flipped some switches inside the display and then the PC software started receiving speeds. The displays kept displaying speeds before and after adding the PC. He only runs the trap with the PC and told me if the PC software is not running, the displays do not show anything.
kaiserBoss

Postby raceamerica » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am

RaceAmerica Wireless Speed Traps are standalone speed traps utilizing a T-Link2 trap with two beam emitters and two tracks sensors. In the standalone configuration, the speed trap display is the master controller polling the T-Link. The T-Link responds to the master poll with the current status of the trap and the last known speed measured. Each time the display polls the T-Link, the most current information is sent and if a speed is valid and available, the display displays the trap speed. The display also will display a bottom leftmost segment or a decimal point (depending on which display model) to indicate the trap is busy measuring a speed.

Normal speed trap operation will lockout the speed trap for about 4 seconds when one of the beams was tripped and display the 'trap busy' indicator. Once a speed is displayed, the trap is disabled for about 9 seconds, then clears the display and the trap is ready to measure the next speed.

When PC software is added, a T-Link IDZ unit is also added and connected to the PC enabling the PC to now act as the master controller. There can only be one master so the display must be switched into slave mode by setting the appropriate DIP switch inside the display. The display in slave mode listens for the T-Link and processes the speed as usual. All polling is now handled by the T-Link IDZ unit connected to the PC. To switch back to standalone mode without the PC, the DIP switch inside the display must be reset back to its factory setting making it the speed trap display the master again.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby MasonDo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:37 am

If I add a second display and no PC, I will assume one of the speed trap displays will be the master and the other display will be set to slave mode.

By the same token, if the PC is also in the mix, both displays would need to be in slave mode in order to follow the rule of only one master (in this case the PC).

Can you confirm both of these assumptions are correct?
MasonDo

Postby raceamerica » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:39 am

MasonDo wrote:Can you confirm both of these assumptions are correct?

Yes, both statements are correct. You can add as many display as you want since all the displays will listen for the T-Link as long as they are in slave mode and only one master display or PC is configured.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Postby raceamerica » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 am

UPDATE: the current models of wireless speed traps now contain a 4520USPD USB wireless unit replacing the IDZ T-Link ans T-Link 3's replacing the T-Link2's at the speed trap. There is a new model available, model 5844, with a faster internal clock providing a 2x in speed precision. Older T-Links can be upgraded to the 4520USPD and T-Link3's as well as the higher internal clock model. International model contain a 4620USPD for compatibility with international wireless requirements.
raceamerica
Site Admin

Return to Scoreboards and Displays